Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Dissociation Christmas Baby Update

Little Marcy is finally home!  For the record, she is named after my dental hygienist.  Or, shall we say, semi-retired, in Aggieland.  Whoop!  Love you Marcelle!

The boys are still in the NICU.  What a road to be traveled.  Kristie and Erica, at Memorial Hermann, The Woodlands, I suited up to head to the NICU and see the babies.  What a humbling time that was.

Reality can hit me in all directions.  Dissociative Identity Disorder is nothing to sneeze at.  I have been embracing my mental illness for years, and celebrate my milestones.  Today, there are 40 of them.  And my Baylor MD knows the story of Sybil, so she has a keen medical insight, since my case is rare.  Cerebral Palsy caused medical trauma, and thus, the splitting.  My first split happened in 1979, and my final split happened in 2010.  The Posse is 14 women, 4 men, and 2 little girls.  The other 20, Class Act, are 10 Russian students, and 10 Japanese students.

The homecoming of little Marcy is just another chapter.  Abbi and Melissa are doctors.  They specialize in gynecology, and complex births.  The boys are being cared for by Connie, Steven, and Tess.

The downside to this disorder happens when I get told that it's my imagination.  I wouldn't be on medications or seeing a psychiatrist if this were indeed imaginary.  That's just as ignorant as someone telling a depressed patient to smile.  My two key medications are Prozac and Zyprexa.  My new normal came when I got a Baclofen Pump implant in 2006.  We finally have my Cerebral Palsy, CP, and DID under control.  The key, simply put, is, I am not ashamed.  Education is key.  Having suffered from depression and more in the process of being where I am is also important.

On the outside, I am put together, and very articulate.  I work from home now.  My colleagues get it.  Agoraphobia is sometimes something I value.  I can't hold a job because of my CP.  It's considered a work away from home liability since I only qualify for part time work, and would have zero insurance coverage.  It's why previous jobs were a year or less.  I was still paid, and a volunteer, but the risks were simply too great.  Working from home means I can set my own hours, earn what I can, and live independently while under my dad's roof.

With the babies where they are, I can still live a full, rich life while watching them grow in their incubator.  This is not a misprint.  They need each other's touch and mine, to survive and thrive.

Upon release from the hospital, all 3 babies will be baptized into the Episcopal Church.  Marcy is awaiting her new friends' homecoming.

These Dreams, by Heart, is playing right now.  Joy!  Music has saved me from a lot of medical complications, all outpatient.  ER cures my headaches.  When Melissa and I wed, we knew we had something special.  She started out her medical career as an ER physicician, and 2 years ago, in 2014, she became Chief of Surgery at Mansion Medical Hospital.  I work in the family wing, helping families cope with surgery times when loved ones are in the ER and OR.  Abbi is an ER EMT.  She not only transports patients, but she stays in the ER to treat them prior to sending them to the OR.

Going back to school has paid off for me.  Medical coding and courses can be done by disabled populations, much like our counterparts.  Sometimes, we exceed expectations, and end up doing more than they do.  This is a time when I can honestly take a stand to tell you I am able, and proved it.

The twins are just the beginning.  More to come...

No comments: