Thursday, January 26, 2017

Recent Growth

Now that you've read some posts about me and my mom, here's another that I am happy about.  School years were very difficult, and I didn't have loyal friends until college.  UH Main was the best 7 years of my life.  Despite not having all accommodations in place, I proudly held my head up, and attacked my classes with gusto.  I started out in Psychology, moved to French, Spanish, and Philosophy.  Then, in 2002, I walked, feeling even more euphoric.  Even though we dealt with 2 suicides before graduation, all of my fellow Cougars came together to support their families, and we comforted each other.  One was an acting student, and the other had autism.  It was tragic because they were due to walk with us.  I struggled in 2004 while moving on in my life, but that quickly subsided when we made our move to Spring.  Ten years later, we are back in Fort Bend County, attending The Episcopal Church Of The Epiphany.

While in Spring, I managed to work 2 jobs, and go back to school for a year, studying medical science and coding.  The school specialized in medical sciences, and I proved everyone wrong again. Ha ha!  My knowledge I now have has carried over to my daily life.  Eat your heart out ICD 10!  Booyah!

Today, I am working in the Market Research field, and it fits me like a glove.  I do everything from online surveys to home based studies for upcoming products, and consulting with other clients.  Not only am I growing at work and with my family, but I am also growing at Epiphany.  In my lifetime, I never thought I'd see a clergy change as significant as this current one.  I am still getting to know Christine and Lisa, and having Joseph as music director is also a blessing.

I am humbled and excited.  Not only do we welcome Joseph and Tracy as a gay couple, but welcoming Christine and Lisa as female rectors as well helps me feel like I belong.  I came out in 1997, and Mom was with me.  And being a woman with male clergy was not bad, but I always felt misunderstood.  Today, all of that has changed.  Even though I have challenges that are not always glorious, God continues to help me grow, while being a lesbian woman in modern society today.

Christine blessed me when I turned 41, but she said, "May Susana learn new things."  I still am.  Growth abounds.  Lisa also prays for me, and this is very helpful.  The spiritual adventures continue.

No comments: