Friday, May 05, 2006

Today I was inspired to do two things...dance, and keep writing about those experiences. The article that I got from Emily in the NY Times was both moving and true for me, which led to tears of joy and pain at the same time. Now I get to keep dancing, even before surgery, in fact, as a preparation for it. Dance is great for cardio, as well as the rest of the body. And because New York has it all, I hope the article about this tiny ballet class makes its way into the hearts of some people so we can have a class like that here in Houston, TX.


When I was little, I danced ballet with another student with CP. Our teacher, Kathy Hooper, saw potential in us, even though we couldn't walk well on our own, and required assistance. Today I still require some, but it's not too bad. I just remember putting everything else on the back burner to dance then, and again in college at Friday Afternoon Theatre. Performances from monologues to dance could be done at this open forum, and I was able to put the pain on hold to move in ways that no one else can.


My most memorable performances were done to Hands by Jewel, and Seasons Of Love from the RENT soundtrack. By the end, there wasn't a dry eye in the house. And I dedicated those dances to some special theatre friends. They were able bodied, but like the little girls in the article, I was able to seek support from them. That made dancing worthwhile.


I still dance, post college too, but for a smaller audience. Today you'll hear songs like Believe by Cher, Hung Up by Madonna, and Dance Without Sleeping by Melissa Etheridge. That song, in a nutshell, is my inspiration.


I must tip my hat to Brent, Jerry, and Emily for seeing potiential in me still, years later. You're the greatest friends a dancer and writer could ever have, and for that, I thank you. May my work continue to inspire you, no matter what I do. Now it's back to the dance floor...I feel like moving again. :-)

No comments: