Friday, May 05, 2006

Tonight, I got a sign...from above. It showed me that I have CP for a reason. My parents and I headed to Olive Garden for dinner, and this time, it was different. While we waited outside to be seated, a family arrived, with a son who looked to be about 13, in a special wheelchair. He looked great. My parents noticed, so I quietly commented over dinner, that he wasn't as severe as my friend Mark was, but more mild to moderate. His speech was flawless.


Our waitress reminded me of one of my close friends. She had a great personality, was very friendly, and her voice was what reminded me of this friend of mine. It's been a good night so far. Dinner was excellent. Mom and Dad had chicken Capreci, and I had the Portobello Mushroom stuffed ravioli. After dinner, we split a Taramisu three ways.


What does this all tell me? Regardless of how people see me with CP, I'm still a wonderful person. Restaurants, stores, and other public places are usually where people like myself and this young boy get looks, and comments behind the back. But not tonight. Tonight was a night where we could just be with our families and relax.


I know this night has to end. But the simple message of love your neighbor as yourself, well, it held true. And it will never end. Loving my neighbor as myself means, with the CP, and everything in between. I just thought I'd share some insight tonight, to allow you to see what kind of a person I am becoming in my 30s. The CP will be with me until I am with God. May it get me everywhere I need to go in this life, with God's help.


People always want to comment to me about how far I've come. About how there are people in worse shape than myself. I already know all of this. What matters to me most at this point in life, is where I am here and now. Those that are worse off, well, somehow they manage to live full lives too. I pray for them all the time. And I pray that all of my accomplishments bear some importance in life too. The past ones are right where they should be. The ones in the present are still forming. And the future ones have yet to be formed.


I know there may not be tomorrow. Which is why I focus on today. As I head back to my dance floor at home, I am reminded that today is all I have. And it's all I need.

No comments: